Monday, June 20, 2005

Covered.."Un"covered..Clueless.."Care"less

Usually I am not the type to jump up and down upon hearing some remark about "Malay" (heck,I'm often labelled as Melayu-murtad myself) but certain remarks can really "sting".I'm not being racist or defensive but juz felt like voicing out my opinion..

Juz a few moments ago I went thru some blogs via PPS (proud to be part of a Malaysian-blog community).And I came across this blog commenting on a shampoo advert here which had a Malay,tudung-clad,girl as the model.The writer commented on how it was the most ridiculous advert the writer has ever watched..

to quote the writer..

All the while I thought shampoo ads were usually associated with beautifoooool, long-straight-shiny hair...and certainly not some pretty girl neatly clad in capes, not showing any traces of hair AT ALL...could it be that the new Brand S shampoo can make the 'capes' look nicer, cleaner and shinier??? *rolling my eyes* .. Perhaps Brand S shampoo is thinking of venturing into laundry detergent business too and this is just a hidden mesage/hint to its fans :) or perhaps they have just run out of ideas.. unquote.

I understand,totally,why the writer reacted this way when the writer saw the advert for the first time.Heck,I even chuckled at the notion of promoting a shampoo but no actually hair of the model could be seen.But after being chided by my bf about not being able to "see beyond" the advert.And I took his words and ponder thru it.

I am a Muslim/Malay (tho I would prefer to acknowledge myself as 1/4 chinese,1/4 arabic,1/4 javanese and 1/4 arabic) but I'm not wearing tudung.So I didn't notice that adverts can be biased to those wearing tudung.A lot of adverts are not so pro-tudung wearers..But,lets not go into details on the advert-bias thingy.The reason for my entry is to shed some light to those who can't "get" the message behind the advert..So,I guess what the advert is trying to "convey" is that by wearing tudung,it will make your hair smell a bit as the hair is under the head-cover most of the time.By using Brand-S shampoo,it can help to reduce or eliminate the smell even after a whole day in the head-cover (tudung).Plus,not only it maintains the freshness of the hair/head but also produces a nice fragrance..(I may stretch the truth a bit,here),hehehe..I guess one needs to dwelge beyond the norms to actually catch the whole idea of the advert.

Alas,despite all the adverts and effort made by the shampoo company,I am "cover"less.Not that I can't but I guess I juz opt not to,for now.I know it's compulsory in Islam to wear but since when did anyone actually follow rules nowadays?!..To some I've sinned for showing my hair to other people apart from my family..To me,I'd rather be that than a hypocrite.For now,I'm not ready to cover my head when I'm still wearing some rather sexy outfits.When I do commit myself to wearing tudung,I will wear it and change my wardrobe as well.So until that day,I will opt to be "clueless","un"-covered and "care"less..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But..but.. it's an ADVERTISEMENT not a PUZZLE ...you are not supposed to dicipher messages on adverts. Adverts are suppose to point the most obvious message what the product SHOULD do.. if every advertisement on TV does this, all the viewers would be very busy during the commercial breaks rite? Sitting there trying to think of the hidden messages in it..Hmm..

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home |

ADRINAAMIL
A is for Adventurous
D is for Daredevil
R is for Rare
I is for Industrious
N is for Neglected
A is for Altruistic
A is for Active
M is for Moral
I is for Innocent
L is for Logical
What Does Your Name Mean?

People say that life is short.I would say it depends on how you live your life.So live life to the fullest!