Tuesday, December 06, 2005

..Childhood MeMe on..Makan-makan!!

..Food..mmm,yummy!! one of my favourite topics :-p..
..I couldnt help myself.I am a person who enjoys indulging my taste buds into new,delicious cuisines.Im not fussy when it comes to eating.I can wallop almost anything except frogs&such,petai& sekutu dengannya and "mee".sorry,i just dunno why i cant digest "mee"..when i refer "mee" as in the "mee kuning",the ones used in mee goreng mamak.those kind..but yee mee and mihun i do eat..its just "mee kuning" that I dont fancy..

..nways,i was entrusted by BeerBrat to continue this meme in the honour of human's essential need in life (what crap was that?!!)..FOOD..so,here's my list of 5 most memerable cuisines..

1.Putu Mayam
..for those who dont know,putu mayam is round in shape,white in colour and made out of rice flour (dis one,not too sure but it has the likeness of a mihun).it is usually eaten with brown sugar and "kelapa parut" (or desiccated coconut in English).

..my greatgrandma,Nenek Bee,is a Muslim of an Indian heritage.she looked after me when i was small up to i was 4 yrs old.so,she used to make this for breakfast and i really love eating up the mixture of the brown sugar+coocnut MINUS the mihun-like thingy.

..nowadays its very hard to find people selling this delicacy.i usually get it from this uncle who goes around my area on his bike,every morning.either that or my mum makes it (but not as nice as Nenek Bee's putu mayam..).whenever i eat this,it will remind me of Nenek Bee and her indian cooking.(she is still around,btw..at 103 yrs old)

2.Nasi Lemak
..im sure nasi lemak is everybody's favourite food..well,most malaysians favourite-laa.how can we survive without this milky/creamy steamed rice,with sambal that's hot it makes you cry with pleasure along with the crunchy cucumber n fried anchovies and not forgetting the yummy hard-boiled egg...syiok habis,man!!

..but the best nasi lemak ever tasted by me is the one cooked by my grandma,Nenek Ru.she makes the best nasi lemak ever,in my book of delicacies n cuisines.her rice is milky,cooked twice in a wooden container-->which preserves the aroma and the taste of the coconut milk.add that to a hot sambal,huge size of fried anchovies and kick of Nenek's famous rendang daging..widely known as rendang jual (coz she usually cookes this type of rendang only for selling nasi lemak).and then it's all wrapped in a banana leaf to retain the delicious taste..yumm!!

..after Nenek Bee when back to JB (Nenek Bee is my dad's grandma),I stayed at my Nenek&Atok's place (these are my mum's parents) along with my cousins,Nina,Jaja,Bibob and later on my sister,Fifien and my cousin Azim.my granparents sell nasi lemak for living after my Atok retired as a warden at Pudu Jail.their nasi lemak was the talk of the town,really!

..they start selling at 6-6.30am and by 8 everything was cleared.so,when i reached their house around 7.30,me & my cousins will dutily take the plates from the kitchen and place our "orders" of nasi lemak from Nenek b4 it finishes off.most of the AU3 & Tmn Sepakat folks buy their nasi lemak from my grandparents.even my frens know me as "cucu Pak Sam Nasi Lemak"..she stopped selling them after my Atok passed away in 1989.i really missed my Nenek's nasi lemak especially the rendang 'cause no one else makes her type of rendang..

3.Ais krim Malaysia
..this is like a must-have when i was a small kid.everyday without fail,after mengaji class,me&my cousins will race down to buy ais krim malaysia from this atok who stays nearby my grandparents's house.there are 4 flavours to choose from e.g orange,syrup,milo and asam boi.usually asam boi sells off very fast because it's the tastiest among the 4.

..ais krim malaysia is favoured ice in a long,transparent plastic,tube-like,tied at the ends.to eat,you'd hafta bite off the tied end and suck the ice.damn nice and cooling!(especially after a race to see who gets the ais krim asam boi)

4.Nasi goreng Ayam/Telur/Fried Rice with Chicken/Fried Egg
..i know nasi goreng ayam/telur is very common.but back when i was in TKC,during my 1st and 2nd year there,that's like 'THE food' after morning prep class on weekends.it is actually just plain nasi goreng with either ayam sambal or telur goreng with sambal.but becoz back then,the food served in the dining hall is just a bit better than "a sad state" (maybe slightly better than the food in the prison,LOL).so,to be able to buy nasi goreng ayam from the canteen is like..ermm,"fine dining".

..but our menu REALLY improved after my 3rd year there..maybe has something to do on Najib being the Minister Education..huumh..

5.Ayam mask kicap/Chicken with soya sauce
..this is a compulsary dish for raya.heck!i love ayam masak kicap eversince i could digest solid food..ok,ok..i love kicap,period. :-)..

..but ayam masak kicap on 1st day of raya can only be found in the homes of the Javanese folks.the only other person apart from my Javanese relatives,who cooks ayam masak kicap would be my Mak Lang (my dad's sister-in-law).

..on raya morning,this is dish is usually eaten with the lontong Jawa (omg!dats another childhood fav dish! BB,can i list down 6 instead of 5? LOL!!).Lontong Jawa is like ketupat but its wrapped in cylindrical-like banana leaf,and when cooked has the greenish color outside (thanx to the banana leaf) but white in the inside.it tastes just like ketupat.those who wish to taste it,can gimme a buzz and ill make some for you :-)

..sigh..i think i can list down more but the rules says only 5.so,ive honoured the tradition passed down to me and will dutily passed it on.

********************************
Rules of the meme:
1) List down 5 childhood memories of food.
2) And in the tradition of this meme, list the 4 previous taggers before yourself and then your own name at no.5.
3) Tag 3 (or more) other bloggers to continue this meme.

So here are the 4 previous taggers and myself.
1) Insane Babe in the City of KL
2) Funky Cookies
3) Teh Tarik Satu
4) Beer Brat
5) Arinamil

..And now these are the people that I hope would honour the tradition by doing the meme..
1)Yamm-ster
2)Fish in fuschia
3)Acat











3 Comments:

Blogger Beer Brat said...

Buzz! Buzz! Wan to eat Lontong Jawa... with ayam kicap..

8:33 AM  
Blogger Yam said...

Aiyak..

Arin, nanti I buat yer? Hehe.. Still trying to remember my fave food from childhood LOLs..

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool post...just made me very hungry again after lunch pulak tu...! lols!

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home |

ADRINAAMIL
A is for Adventurous
D is for Daredevil
R is for Rare
I is for Industrious
N is for Neglected
A is for Altruistic
A is for Active
M is for Moral
I is for Innocent
L is for Logical
What Does Your Name Mean?

People say that life is short.I would say it depends on how you live your life.So live life to the fullest!